For a parchment of grass at the front and back of your home, lawns seem too overrated and they take quite the chunk of your time and effort. You have to trim the grass, take out the weeds, water and a whole lot of other processes that cost money and effort. But, for the sake of the beauty of your home, it has to be done.
The only thing that more beautiful than a lawn is a lawn with a couple of trees around. Even though this provides plenty of shades for you to ward off the summer heat, when the trees start to weather, picking up the leaves can be very frustrating. You can use a leaf blower but, the bursts of wind will just spread them out again. So, what you do? Simple, get a good lawn sweeper and all you have to do is push or pull it around the lawn and it will pick up the leaves and bag them.
Sounds like a great idea right? That’s because it is. But, you first have to get a good lawn sweeper before you can enjoy the perks of a clean and serene lawn.
You might not be a lawn sweeper expert and maybe you don’t even have any technical information but, don’t worry about it, we can lend you our knowledge and help you get the best possible option for your lawn. All you have to do is read and take some notes. So, let’s gets started.
- 1 How a Lawn Sweeper works
- 2 Best Lawn Sweeper 2018
- 2.1 Agri-Fab 45-0218 26-inch Push Lawn Sweeper
- 2.2 Agri-Fab 45-0492 Lawn Sweeper
- 2.3 Agri-Fab 45 -0320 21-inch Tow Lawn Sweeper
- 2.4 Ohio Steel 50SWP26 Pro Sweeper
- 2.5 Brinly STS-427 LXH 20 Cubic feet Tow Lawn Sweeper
- 2.6 Sun Joe AJ801E 12 AMP Electric Scarifier and Lawn Dethatcher
- 2.7 Lawn Bags Pop Up Leaf Bag with 2 Leaf Grabbers
- 2.8 Karcher S650 Outdoor Push Sweeper Patio and Driveway Cleaner
How a Lawn Sweeper works
Let’s start by dissecting the functioning of a lawn sweeper. Not that it matters, but when your kid asks what it works and how it gets rid of the leaves, you will have something interesting to say. It will also earn you some awesomeness points.
A lawn sweeper has stiff brushes are that fastened to a rotating shaft. When you push or pull the sweeper, the rotating motion of the wheels rotates the shaft which in turn turns the stiff brushes. The turning brushes comb through the grass to dislodge any clippings and other debris that doesn’t belong on your lawn.
The dislodge debris is flipped into a hopper that is attached to the sweeper where it is collected. When the hopper is full, you just detach it from sweeper and empty it and then keep repeating the same process until the lawn is sparkling clean.
There are two main types of lawn sweepers however, they all work in the same way with the exception of the source of propulsion. If you want to cut down on time, you can buy one that you hook up to your lawn mower so you cut the grass and bag the clippings at the same time.
Best Lawn Sweeper 2018
Now that you have an answer that will take care of your children’s concerns, let’s switch things up and look at some of the best lawn sweeper that will make a good fit for your lawn. Just remember that in these reviews, we have taken into account different factors so the choices that we have are meant to take care of as many of our readers as possible.
Agri-Fab 45-0218 26-inch Push Lawn Sweeper
As opposed to having something that comes with all the bells and jingles come first, we thought we should switch it out for something that is more lightweight, affordable, practical and functional.
Even though it might not have all the kinks, the Agri-0218 has plenty of features that you will not only love but, you will also find them to be very helpful. Once purchased, the sweeper requires minimal assembly for it to start working. It comes with large high quality plastic wheels that make it easy to move over the terrain of the lawn. It comes with height adjustable settings and a hopper bag that is easy to remove for emptying.
Other than the plenty of space to collect the clippings and the ease of use, the lawn sweeper also comes with a 3-year warranty to guarantee quality and longevity of the product.
- Large plastic wheels
- Minimum assembly required
- Collapsible hopper simply hooks and unhooks for easy emptying
- 3-year warranty
- It works only a totally flat ground
- When on the low setting, the brush doesn’t turn properly
Agri-Fab 45-0492 Lawn Sweeper
One of the things we loved about this lawn sweeper was that the bag took longer to fill so you make fewer trips to the compost. The bag is not any larger but, it has a flow through system that fills more completely and packs better which allows it to take on more load.
The pull button brush height adjustment lever is quite easy to use comes will an indicator that does not slip to guarantee the best height for the best performance. It also has a unique dump lever that you can use without having to leave the tractor or your lawn mower and, if you are short on space, you will find the collapsible design of the entire lawn sweeper very valuable because it will save you space and there are no tools required.
- Flow through hopper reduces frequency of emptying
- Sweeper tongue counter-balanced to sweep and cut in one go
- Collapsible design
- Easy to use indicator on pull button brush height adjustment lever.
- The bag is very light
- The gear teeth are made of plastic
If you are looking for a push lawn sweeper, this is another option that you are going to love. It is neat with a nice color combination. It is the true testament that garden tools don’t have to be ugly. It provides for an easy and classy way to pick up leaves and twigs from your front yard.
It comes with a large 26 gallon removable hopper bag to collect all the dirt and the sweeper is foldable and you can hang it easily when you are not using it. It is efficient and saves you space when not in use. It covers up to 21 inches in width of path and its lightweight and easy to push frame ensures that you don’t have to put all of effort into it. For the best results, it also has height adjustable settings for the sweeping brush.
- It is easy to use and assemble
- Height adjustment
- Lightweight and easy to push
- Collapsible design for easy storage
- the bag is relatively small
- doesn’t work well in windy conditions
Agri-Fab 45 -0320 21-inch Tow Lawn Sweeper
When you are looking for something you can tow around, you need a little more advanced features or you are going to end up cramping from climbing on and off the tractor to empty the hopper. This one fits the bill for quite a number of reasons.
The array of impressive features starts with a 12 cubic foot hopper that is able to hold more and it is easy to dump from the tractor seat. You don’t have to worry about the constant back and forth to empty the hopper. Other features include the easy to attach to the mower design, easy to adjust brush height and, it can be attached to just about any mower.
- High capacity hopper
- Easy to dump from tractor seat
- Easy to adjust brush height
- 3-year limited consumer warranty
- It takes more time to assemble
Ohio Steel 50SWP26 Pro Sweeper
This lawn sweeper from Ohio Steel is another formidable option. Once of the most interesting aspects about it is the different set up of the hopper. One of the greatest challenges that you can have when working with some of sweepers is the risk of everything being blown out by the wind. With this one, there is no chance of that happening.
But, the creativity of the design does not stop there. It also has spiraled polypropylene brushes that are patented and help to achieve maximum results on just one pass. Because of its incredibly wide path, you will spend less time cleaning up the lawn.
When not in use, the hopper is collapsible and can be completely removed for quick and easy storage and the results are quite impressive.
- Reliable easy to use hopper
- Collapsible and removable hopper for compact storage
- Wide sweeping path
- Patented spiraled polypropylene brushes
- Assembly will take some time since there are quite a number of parts to put together
Brinly STS-427 LXH 20 Cubic feet Tow Lawn Sweeper
The reason why most people prefer tow lawn sweepers is because they allow you to do two things at the same time. You cut the grass with your lawn mower and collect the clippings and the leaves with the sweeper which saves you time.
There are plenty of features to meet your every demand on this option and a lot more that will make life cleaning out your lawn less stressful and more fun. It is fitted with high velocity brushes with indexed height adjustment that provides maximum pickup of debris with the least number of passes required.
It also has a patented unique storage hopper that is simple and convenient and saves you from the trouble of having to redo the entire lawn in case you are caught out by the wind. It is also a tow option and has been optimized for sweeping of leaves, pine needles, grass clippings and old grass.
The sweeper can be stored upright to save space and also comes with a 2 year warranty to instill confidence in buyers.
- High velocity sweeping brushes
- 2- year warranty
- Large capacity hopper
- Easy height adjustments
- Assembly is a challenge
Sun Joe AJ801E 12 AMP Electric Scarifier and Lawn Dethatcher
If you take the well-being of your lawn, this is the one tool that you need. Not only will you be able to get rid of the debris, because it doubles up as a scarifier, you will also be able to aerate the lawn and get allow better penetration of water and nutrients.
The scarifier and lawn dethatcher comes with powerful 12-inch motor rakes that help to get rid of the most deep sitting dead clippings. To make maximize on thatch pickup, the device has an air-boost technology spring steel tines and it is ETL approved. You also get to enjoy the 2-year warranty. It is a great tool to have to help revitalize a dying lawn that is chocking under the intensity of deep lying clippings.
- Electric powered
- 2-year warranty
- Collects thatch and aerates the lawn
- The cleaning path is quite narrow (12.6 inches)
Lawn Bags Pop Up Leaf Bag with 2 Leaf Grabbers
If you find that the push or tow lawn sweepers are out of your budget or maybe the leaves and debris on your lawn are not enough to enroll the use of a lawn sweeper, this pop-up lawn bag and leaf grabbers will do a decent job of keeping your lawn clean.
It is important to note that there is no machination here so you better roll up your sleeves and get ready to work. The advantage of the pop up leaf bag is that you don’t have to battle with it trying to put the leaves into the bag.
The bag also comes with two leaf grabbers that make it easier and quicker to clean up the lawn compared to using your hands. The forked ends of the grabbers are also perfect for aeration. All the tools come with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- Easy and convenient to use
- Grabbers also help to aerate the lawn
- Helps to keep your hands clean and dry
- 1- warranty
- Very affordable
- Not ideal for large lawns or with many leaves to collect
Karcher S650 Outdoor Push Sweeper Patio and Driveway Cleaner
Maybe you don’t have a lawn. But, you still need something to keep your patio and driveway clean. This right here might be the solution that you have been looking for. Even if you have a lawn, keeping your driveway and patio clean should also be prioritized. This push sweeper will help you do that with ease and finesse.
The sweeper cleans up to 5 times faster than using a conventional broom not to mention that you will only use a fraction of the effort. It is able to sweep up to 19,000 square feet per hour and you don’t even have to worry about a matching power bill because the device is powered by your pushing motion.
It has a sizeable waste container that is easy to empty, and the two stage height adjustment makes sure that you are comfortable when using the device. The sweeper is perfect for cleaning driveways, sidewalks, the garage and other storage areas. It is able to do an impeccable job and, you don’t even have to worry about coming into contact with the dirt.
- Able to clean corners and edges
- Sizeable waste container is easy to empty
- Dual spinning brushes for faster cleaning
- Better than using a broom
- Cannot work on the lawn
To close out our list of the best lawn sweepers is yet another unique looking option that is best fitted for people that would like to get leaves off other areas other than the lawn. This lithium Ion powered sweeper is unique in very many ways.
It works in the same way as a leaf blower when you want it to and, it can also function as a sweeper or vacuum when you want it to. Now, we have to mention that it is not advisable to use the tool on your lawn but, it works pretty well on hard surfaces.
The sweeper is powered by a lithium ion battery so you don’t have to worry about emissions or having to break a sweat pushing it around. It will easily blow away or suck in dry leaves in different areas around your home like the decks, walkways, driveways, garage and the patio.
It is an ideal tool for people that have trees around their homes but don’t want something that will take up too much space but it is convenient enough to tackle the task at hand. This tool will do just that and more.
- Small and compact design
- Double function as a blower and leaf vacuum
- Easy to use
- Battery powered
- Cannot be used on lawns
With the Black+Decker option, the list of the best lawn sweepers comes to an end. We have done our best to make sure that all grounds are covered including those that might not have a lawn but have to deal with the pesky leaves.
Best Lawn Sweeping Buying Guide
The reviews should be more than enough to help you pick a good lawn sweeper. But, we can’t leave any chance for those pesky leaves to win this battle. So, we are going to do one better and give you a quick checklist that you can use to help you make sure that all your grounds are covered when you are choosing a good lawn sweeper.
- Type – there are two types of lawn sweepers. The push and the tow lawn sweeper. If you have a tractor or a zero-turn mower, the tow sweeper will be a great option because it will let you cut and bag the clips at the same time. If you don’t, the push lawn sweeper will work in more or less the same way only that you will have to push it around.
- The width – unless you want to be pushing the device around your lawn the entire day, the width of the sweeper should be considered. If you have a small lawn, this might not be very essential. However, if the size of your lawn is significant, you will need all the width you can get to make quick the task of cleaning out the leaves and debris. No matter the size of your lawn, it would be impractical to go below 21” of width.
- The hopper – there are a couple of reasons why the hopper matters. The first is the size. If it is too small, you will have to make multiple trips to the compost to empty it which can be tiresome. If it is too large, storage becomes a problem. It might be a good idea to match the size of your hopper with the amount of work that needs to be done around the lawn. The more the work, the larger the chopper.
The second reason you need to consider the hopper is the quality. In most of the designs, the hopper is screamingly close to the ground. If it is made of low quality materials, it will start tearing and it will be very short-lived.
You also need to make sure that the design of the hopper does not set you up for failure. Most of them are very susceptible to the leaves being blown away by the wind. Make sure the design shields your load of dirt from the cunning wind.
- The hitch – if you decide to go for a tow sweeper, then you will need to make sure you are getting the hitch right. In most cases, a zero-turn hitch will differ from the other types. The best way to remedy this is to get a sweeper that has a multi-height hitch just to be on the safe side. But, if you understand the heights, you can match the height to the tow you will be using.
Wrapping it up!
It is about time you showed those leaves, pines and cones whose boss around your lawn. Without a good lawn sweeper, the leaves will either win by constantly exhausting you and if you have to win, there is a good chance in most cases you will end up with a sore back. However, after this review, you should bring this tussle to a screeching end finally give those leaves a taste of their own medicine.
We hope through these reviews you were able to get a worthy solution to your leafy problem and also, that you were enlightened. Now get out there and get your green lawn back.