If you are considering turning your home into a full scale furniture production center, then a fully-fledged circular saw will suffice. Just in case you are not sure, that can never happen. However, what you can do is have your small DIY projects completed out of the garage. A compact circular saw will more than get the job done in such an instance.
Compact circular saws are efficient, easy to use and very capable. They are small and make it much easier for you to operate them. They are perfect for your in-house project whether you are conducting repairs or completing a new and exciting project. You could save yourself the muscle burning experience and time wasting process of using a hand saw and enjoy the convenience that comes with these handy saw.
Considering that you take your DIYs very seriously and you definitely want something that will add some personality in your completed work, we thought it would be a good idea to help you make the right choice. Just because you are good with your hands doesn’t mean you understand the intricacies of a compact circular saw but, that is why we are here. To make sure whether you are an expert or not you get the best possible circular saw to bring those wood projects to life.
- 1 How does a compact circular saw work?
- 2 Best Compact Circular Saw
- 2.1 Rockwell RK3440K Versacut 4.0 Amp Ultra- Compact Circular Saw
- 2.2 Rockwell RK3441K 4-1/2” Compact Circular Saw
- 2.3 Genesis GCS545C 5.8Amp Control Grip Compact Circular Saw
- 2.4 VonHaus Corded Ultra-Compact Circular Saw
- 2.5 Dremel US40-03 Ultra-Saw Tool Kit
- 2.6 Tacklife Compact Circular Saw
- 2.7 Genesis GMCS547C 5.8Amp Control Grip Compact Circular Saw
- 2.8 VonHaus 4.8Amp Compact Handheld Circular Plunge Saw
- 2.9 Dremel US40-01 Ultra-Saw Tool Kit
- 3 Best Compact Circular Saw Buying Guide
- 4 Conclusion
How does a compact circular saw work?
A compact circular saw works in more or less the same way as the bigger industrial circular saws. The compact circular saw is fitted with a circular blade which is what cuts into the wood. It also has a motor that is powered by electricity.
Once the circular is powered, the motor through a number of gears and cogs turns the blade at very high speeds, and that is how you get the cutting power. The compact circular saw can be right handed or left handed depending on the positioning of the blade and motor. You can choose the one that suits your use best.
Best Compact Circular Saw
Now that you know how your compact circular saw will be working, we need to start addressing the elephant in the room, and that is which one the many options in the market is the best. For the sake of clarity, there isn’t an outright winner because many users are looking for different things. That is why we have come up with the best ten compact circular saws that will fit different needs like price, level of skill and complexity of the job just to name a few.
Rockwell RK3440K Versacut 4.0 Amp Ultra- Compact Circular Saw
This little saw is heaven sent because it is everything that you need for your DIY projects. If you don’t want to have a bunch of saws lying around to cut different materials, this is going to save you from that. Typically known for cutting wood, this compact circular saw takes things a little further and can cut other materials like plastics, flooring, sheet metal and tiles among others.
Just to make sure that your cuts are as perfect as possible it has a built-in laser guide that will help you align the perfect cut for you. The powerful 4.0 amp motor makes cutting through materials as easy as cutting through butter, and the pivoting metal guards make sure the entire cutting process is easy and safe. It is also fitted with a handy dust extraction adapter that keeps the line free of dust for better visibility and accuracy.
The ergonomic and slim grip handle ensures comfort when you are using the device and enhances control.
- The blade is easy to use
- You can use it to cut a variety of materials
- Accurate cutting
- Lightweight and easy to control
- Does not come with a carrying case or holder
WORX WORXSAW 4-1/2’ Compact Circular Saw – WX429L
The blade on this compact circular blade is located on the left side for easier visibility so if you are looking for something with such position this might be a good fit. For safety, the tool comes with an integrated safety trigger, and the thin blade saves you extra strain while offering better speed and performance.
The easy-set depth gauge makes sure that you have your cuts just right and it also comes with a 0-45 degree bevel settings to allow for faster and easier adjustments. If you are looking for a compact saw that works like the big industrial options, this will offer exactly that. It also helps that it comes with a 3-year warranty.
- It can be used for multiple application because of the bevel feature
- Has a non-slip grip
- Safety trigger
- 3-year warranty
- Spare parts are not readily available
- Does not come with a carrying case
Rockwell RK3441K 4-1/2” Compact Circular Saw
Rockwell compact circular saw offer a great blend of design and functionality and you should expect to see quite a couple of them here. This particular one offers a little more kick with a 5 amp electric motor that can get to 3500rpm and can slice through 2by4s in one pass.
Despite the unbelievable bouts of power, the tool weighs only 5 pounds and 50% lighter than a conventional circular saw. It has a left-handed blade design and has placed line visibility very high in the order or priorities.
Other than the unique positioning of the blade, the saw also has a dust pot that makes it much easier for you to keep the line in sight. To keep using the device comfortably, it has a slim design that makes it more manageable and balance. It is also easier to control even with overhead cuts. The bevel capacity greatly increases the applications of this saw and it also has a maximum cutting depth of 90 degrees.
- Versatile cutting
- Accurate cutting
- Lightweight and great balance
- Does not have a holder or a carrying case
Genesis GCS545C 5.8Amp Control Grip Compact Circular Saw
This is another great and quite powerful option to add to your collection of tools. It is powered by a 5.8amp motor with up to 3,500 RPM with triple gear reduction for maximum torque and easier cutting.
The tungsten-carbide tipped blade is able to cut through a variety of different materials, and the built-in dust port makes sure that your line of work is kept clean and visible. If you are looking for a portable, functional and efficient cutting tool, this one has everything you are looking for. We loved the inclusion of the vacuum adaptor which makes cleaning chippings easier and also makes it easier to keep focus on your lines.
- Bladed tipped with Tungsten-carbide for extra strength
- Maximum torque from triple gear reduction
- Adjustment controls are easy to reach and use
- Comfortable grip
- It is less durable than other options
VonHaus Corded Ultra-Compact Circular Saw
This is one of the most comprehensive compact circular saws that you will find on the market. If you want a saw that will not leave anything behind and cover any areas that you might have forgotten to consider when making the pick, this one will probably get the job done for you.
It is a compact saw filled with brute power with a 5.8amp electric motors with a no-load speed of 3,500rpm. It has a tungsten-carbide tipped blade that cuts through wood and MDF boards with ease, and the ergonomic design with a slim grip handle allows for better one-handed operation. It is way easier to handle than the traditional circular saw and allows for easier maneuverability for overhead cuts.
To achieve maximum torque, the saw has a triple-geared drive. It also has a guide fence for precision cutting, and angle adjustment bevel and depth adjustment. To make your work easier, the product also has a dust extraction port that can attach to your vacuum cleaner and even comes with a storage case for easier storage.
Even though the VonHaus does not have one particular stand out feature, it is well rounded and caters to all your DIY and repair projects with ease.
- Powerful 5.8amp motor
- Comes with a dust extraction port
- Comes with a carry case
- Slim grip handle
- No laser guidance system for precise cuts
Dremel US40-03 Ultra-Saw Tool Kit
As we go further down the list, the surprises keep coming. Here is a little something that you never thought you would find. With cutting and especially wood, comes sanding. Now if you are like most of the DIYers we talked to, you would prefer to have one handy tool that caters to almost everything as opposed to having many tools that make your working space look like an industrial workshop.
That is exactly what this saw offers. It is powered by a 7.5amp motor that propels it to function on tougher applications and at a faster speed. It can slice through plywood and different types of metal with ease, and beyond cutting, it can also complete other tasks like flush cutting and surface preparation jobs.
It might be a better pick for more experienced handymen that can keep their arms steady since it doesn’t have all the guiding mechanism but, it is built for tough work and is highly durable. The addition of the dust extraction port at least ensures that you have visibility as you work.
- Great all rounded product
- Can work with wood and metal
- 3-in-1 tool
- Added durability with a drive train that lasts three times longer
- Dust extraction port
- Carrying case
- No guiding mechanisms
Tacklife Compact Circular Saw
Buying this compact circular saw is the same as buying a good car and then fine tuning it only that the car comes fine-tuned already. The saw has a 5.8amp pure copper motor that generates 30% more power to give you sharper and faster cuts in one single pass.
The saw is optimized for single had use with the location of the motor and blade being part of the reason why this is a great saw to use with one hand. Its carbide tipped blades last longer, and it comes with a blade guard and a rip guide to help you keep the cut along the lines. It also comes with an Allen wrench to make blade changing easier.
Other than quick and smooth cutting, you can also adjust the cutting angle, and the cutting depth of the saw and the vacuum dust adapter will make sure that the line you are working on is visible all through.
With a blade moving this fast, you need to have ample safety measures in place, and this saw provides for exactly that. It comes with a double safety switch control which makes sure that the blade only starts moving when you want it to. If you let go of one of the switches, then it stops.
- Easy one hand operation
- Dual switch safety features
- Optimized motor for better performance
- Comes with an Allen wrench
- Has a vacuum dust adapter
- No carrying case
Genesis GMCS547C 5.8Amp Control Grip Compact Circular Saw
If looks matter with your tools, you are going to love how this one looks and more importantly, how it works. Not only is it a great piece for your woodwork projects, but it can also cut through mild steel like aluminum and other non-ferrous metals with no sparks and no smoke. You also won’t need any coolant when using this product which will save you time and money.
It is propelled by a 5.8amp motor with a no-load speed of 3,500RPM with adjustable cutting depth and a die-cast aluminum gearbox. The triple reduction gears maximize the amount of torque, and the ripe guide makes sure you don’t veer out of your lines. While the looks and functioning of the device are quite commendable, so is its quality which is also backed up by a 2-year warranty and you get an Allen wrench with the purchase.
- Ability to cut different materials
- Comes with an Allen wrench
- Adjustable depth cutting
- 2-year warranty
- Does not come with a carry case
- Does not have an adjustable bevel
VonHaus 4.8Amp Compact Handheld Circular Plunge Saw
If you are looking for a compact circular saw with the ability to plunge cut, this is it for you. Don’t be fooled by the 4.8 amp motor into thinking that the saw will be short-handed. It has a kick and aggressiveness that will get you through most of your cutting in no time and features some state of the art features that will help you keep within the lines of your project.
With a no-load RPM of 4,000, the saw can cut through wood and plasterboard with ease and has an adjustable depth cut of up to 1”. It is a lightweight domestic tool that you are going to love and one that guarantees quality results for both professional craftsmen and avid home DIYers.
The saw is easy to work with and maneuver with plenty of versatility and a slim design that allows you to have maximum control even when you are working on length projects. The circular plunge saw is a big plus for those once in a while projects.
The compact saw comes with a number of accessories which include a storage bag and a straight edge guide and blade.
- Ability to plunge cut
- Slim and highly maneuverable design
- Comes with a carrying case
- 4000 no load RPM
- Not suitable for cutting tough materials like metal
Dremel US40-01 Ultra-Saw Tool Kit
To bring our prestigious list of worthy partners in your DIY projects is this handy tool from Dremel. We always believe in starting with a bang and ending with one so expect nothing less from this one of a kind tool.
It is fitted with a power 7.5amp motor that is perfect for tough applications and is perfect for quick cutting. It is a versatile product that goes beyond cutting and comes with the necessary accessories for surface preparation as well. That means that you will be getting more function for the price of one tool.
The compact circular saw is strong enough to cut through metals as well and has an adjustable depth guide and plunge action for precision and control. If you are looking for more than just cutting action, this one of a kind tool falls squarely in your demands.
- 3-in-1 functioning
- Comes with a carry case
- Allen wrench for easier changing of blades
- Long lasting drivetrain
- 2-year warranty
- Only uses Dremel blades
- No bevel cuts
Best Compact Circular Saw Buying Guide
We know that your home projects are valuable to you and the last thing you want is to end up with something that doesn’t look close to what you had in mind. We know that your cutting tools are going to factor in heavily on the results of your project. Just to make sure that everything comes out right, we thought we would share a guide on the factors that you should consider most when buying a compact circular saw.
- Power – the first thing you want to check is the power. A compact circular saw is not any good if you have to keep cutting back and forth before you can cut through. Raw power is very important in getting you quick and efficient results. It is particularly important to consider raw power if you are going to work on different materials. To get a good idea, you can look at the amps and voltage of the motor even though this only tells half the story.
- Ease of Use – the main aim of having a compact saw is to have something that you can fully control without any issues. The saw should not be so hard to use that you have to refer to the manual every five minutes or it makes you question your abilities. Even with advanced features, using a compact saw should be easy.
However, you should know that ease of use also depends on a couple of factors among them your physical capacity like the size and strength of your hands. It is important to factor this in when you are considering your option.
- Safety – compact circular saws are a lot of fun to use but, they can be just as dangerous. You need to make sure that whatever choice you pick has a safety interlock just in case things go south. One of the features that are commonly used for this is the interlock which means there are multiple switches that have to be operated to get the blade to start moving. In most cases, the addition of these switches makes the device a little more difficult to operate. As such, you have to decide what means more to you. Safety or the ease of use.
- Portability – it is not a compact circular saw if it is the same size as your workbench. Size is essential in this case, and you need to make sure it is within your limits. Luckily, the size of these saws does not vary too much so it should not be a problem.
- Blade replacement – depending on how often you use the saw, you will need to change the saw a couple of times, and this needs to be easy and straightforward for you. If the saw comes with the tools that are required for the blade change, it is an added benefit.
- Warranty – it is always good to have some sort of warranty backing up the quality claims. A manufacturer will always put out a warranty on the product if they believe that it meets the quality standards they advertise. The longer the warranty, the better.
If you have been postponing getting that patio chair done because of not having a good saw, now you have everything you need to go out and get one. We have different reviews that you can consider, and as we always advise, when buying such tools, you should know that your expertise and passion will only grow with each project you finish so you have to factor in future functionalities when making the purchase.