- Whether you are looking for a new cool dad or mum award by finding new ways to spend time with your kids, looking to torch some calories or trying to find an easier, greener and faster alternative to walking to work, adult scooters are your best bet. They are small, they are efficient and with the right amount of energy, they are faster than walking.
Just because this little device will not change how you live or act like a life hack doesn’t mean you shouldn’t take time to make sure you get the purchase right. There are many different types of adult scooters in the market at all price points and the efficiency and safety of the scooter will depend on the steps you make before you make the choice.
Our part as always is to take the load of your back and research on the best brands and models out there for all applications and all you have to do is read through, get enlightened and make a pick. So, without further more to do, let’s start with the mechanics of how the adult scooter works.
- 1 How an adult scooter works
- 2 Best Adult Scooter 2018
- 2.1 Fuzion Cityglide B200 Adult Kick Scooter with Hand brake
- 2.2 Schwinn Adult Shuffle Scooter with 26” Wheels
- 2.3 EXOOTER M1850 6XL Adult Cruiser Kick Scooter with Front Shocks
- 2.4 Hudora 205 Adult Folding Kick Scooter
- 2.5 Hudora 230 Big Wheel Kick Scooter for Teens and Adults
- 2.6 Xootr Adult Kick Scooter
- 2.7 Globber One K 180 Adult Folding Scooter with Handbrake
- 2.8 Urban 7XL Kick Scooter Adjustable
- 2.9 Goplus Folding Kick Scooter for Adult Teen Deluxe Aluminum Glider
- 2.10 Ancheer Adult Teen Kick Scooter with Dual Suspension
How an adult scooter works
There are two types of adult scooters that you can choose from. There are the kick scooters and if your budget is more flexible, you can also go for an electric scooter.
For a kick scooter, as the name suggests, the scooter is powered by a kicking motion from your leg. The kinetic energy created by kicking your foot off the ground gives the scooter a moving motion. However, if you happen to be going downhill, you don’t have to be worried about kicking. Just let gravity take its course.
The braking mechanism in the kick scooter is as simple as the propulsion. The rear fender or mudguard is movable and when you apply a little pressure on it, it touches the hind wheel and the friction causes the scooter to stop. The braking power is determined by how hard to step on the fender.
On the other hand, there are electric scooters. They are not as common because they cost significantly more but, they are a worthy candidate especially if you want the scooter for transport purposes and to help you gain weight.
These are propelled by a set of rechargeable batteries that power a motor mounted on the frame of the scooter. Using a framework of circuitry, the electrical energy released from the batteries is converted to mechanical energy that gets the scooter to move.
The braking mechanism in this case is attached to handle bar and a slight squeeze gets it to work. Again, the efficiency of the brakes depends on how hard you squeeze them.
Best Adult Scooter 2018
Now that you know a little bit about adult scooters and how they work, how about we get right into looking at some formidable makes and models that will suit your different needs. In case you notice us getting carried away by some of the options, that is because we ended up riding some of them and the fun got to us.
Fuzion Cityglide B200 Adult Kick Scooter with Hand brake
The Fuzion is a great adult scooter that is best used for commuting. It can be used for other purposes but people who are looking to cut down their walking time without sacrificing the calorie burning aspect will find this one to be a great fit.
Among the features we found would fit in well with your daily activities is the fact that the scooter can be folded which makes it easy to carry around when you are not using it. Its compact nature makes it ideal for the modern day traveler that is looking for a scooter that will not bash other people when in the train and when it is needed, it unfolds quickly ready to get into action.
It has quite a sizeable frame with plenty of space and the capacity to cater to a wide range of different weights. The hand operate brake is a great addition since you never have to worry about taking your eyes off the road and it is more efficient than the fender operated version.
- It is easy to handle
- Has a sturdy build
- Rolls quite smoothly with big tires
- Foldable and compact design for easier storage
- The ride on the pavements was a little rough
- On asphalt pavements, the traction is not as much as most people would prefer
Schwinn Adult Shuffle Scooter with 26” Wheels
Simply put, this is the common ground between walking and riding a bike to work. If you love bikes but hate peddling, this scooter will give you the biking experience with scooter power.
The 26-inch wheels cover more ground so you will be at your destination faster and offers loads of fun while at that. Because scooting can be dirty business especially when you ride over a paddle of water, the scooter comes with front and rear fenders to keep the spills in their right place and keep you clean during the ride.
Its steel structure allows it to handle more weight and punishment but as you can guess, it also converts into a little more weight that you will have to carry around. To get the scooter to stop in a controlled fashion, it makes use of alloy front and rear linear pull brakes that are efficient in all weather conditions.
To help cut on the weight of the bike, the rims are made from alloy and are lightweight but very strong. Its size make it the perfect adult play toy and also a great alternative to riding a bike with more fun and less time required to get to your destination.
- Has big 26” wheels
- Strong steel structure
- Linear pull brakes for more controlled braking in any weather
- Plenty of legroom
- Very heavy because of the steel frame
- Is not foldable
EXOOTER M1850 6XL Adult Cruiser Kick Scooter with Front Shocks
If you prefer a little comfort and luxury with your scooter, this will offer you exactly that and nothing less. The Exooter M1850 is not only fitted with features that make it easier for you to use but, it also comes with 220lbs weight capacity front suspension shocks that will make your ride on uneven grounds smoother and more fun.
Another luxury feature that you are going to love is the sleek self-adjusting bottle holder that has the capacity to hold up to 32oz of beverage keeping you hydrated as you kick away.
Away from the luxury features, the scooter also has a decent collection of basic features that you are going to need to get you from one place to the next. These include large wheels that are ideal for the uneven city pavements, foldability to make it easier for you to transport or carry the scooter and a spring-shock kick stand for easier folding and unfolding. The frame of the scooter is made from aluminum which is a big plus because it makes it lightweight and sturdy.
- Front suspension
- Lightweight and sturdy frame
- Foldable for easier storage and carrying
- Comes with a carry strap
- Ideal for use on uneven roads
- Rear fender is not long enough to stop water from being sprayed all over you
Hudora 205 Adult Folding Kick Scooter
There’s nothing better than a good scooter with even better looks. The Hudora 205 comes with a very sporty feel and look thanks to its careful black and red color combination. It comes fully assembled and ready for the road and all you have to do is pop in the handlebar and you are on your way.
Your ride while on the scooter is going to be a smooth one thanks to the rubbery type of tires that make the strolling quieter and they offer more traction on the pavement. An additional feature that we fell in love with is the folding and unfolding mechanism. For the folding, there is a lever that you need to pull and to unfold, all you have to do is give it a gentle push with your foot and the snap heard confirms the latch is properly in place.
The foldable design and the addition of shoulder strap make it a lot easier to carry especially if you want to use the scooter to move around. The large wheels will also cut the workload and help you cover more distance easily and the steady frame is capable of taking on any challenge that is thrown its way.
What we loved most about this scooter is that you can use it for almost anything. You can use it for transport and if you choose it to hang around your kids, it will definitely earn you some cool parent points.
- Foldable with a shoulder strap for easy carrying
- Smooth coasting especial on level pavement
- Full assembled
- The folding mechanism could be easier
- Has small rattles when ridden
Hudora 230 Big Wheel Kick Scooter for Teens and Adults
In most cases, when we find a really good brand, we always want to stick around it more and see what else they have to offer. The Hudora 230 is an upgrade of their 205 which we have just reviewed. This particular one is an upgrade because it comes with larger wheels that have a diameter of 230mm so you are able to conquer more unfavorable terrain and you also need fewer kicks to get to your destination.
Its lightweight but solid aluminum frame and PU wheels have the capacity to support a whopping 264 pounds of mass to get just about anyone to wherever they need to go. The adjustable and foldable handle bar ensures that the ride is comfortable for users of all heights. The spacious kick stand will provide all the space that your feet need while operating the scooter and if at some point you have to carry it, the attached shoulder strap will allow you to do so easily.
- Big wheels for a smoother ride
- Shoulder strap for easier carrying
- Lightweight but sturdy aluminum frame
- Height adjustable and foldable handle
- Comes with a warning bell
- Quite costly
Xootr Adult Kick Scooter
This is a lean looking cool feeling scooter that does not have all the intricate features that the other models have. It is simple and clean looking and perfect for chasing after your kids on the driveway and for short smooth distances.
It does not have the largest wheels but what it has is sufficient. It also has an adjustable handlebar that accommodates adults that are as tall as 6’7”. With its wide platform, you have enough room for both your feet and the PU wheels guarantee quick and smooth strolling.
It comes with one of our favorite features which is an easy to use front brake but if you would rather not use that, it also has the conventional rear fender foot operated brake. The essence of the front brake is not only for those sudden stops but also for the wet weather. The Xootr Adult Kick Scooter is hand assembled with a quick-click folding mechanism that is patent pending.
- It has a large platform
- Quite stable and sturdy
- Easy folding and unfolding mechanism
- PU tires
- The tires are small
- It is generally heavy
Globber One K 180 Adult Folding Scooter with Handbrake
This is another great option that comes with a folding mechanism that is patented. The folding mechanism locks the handlebars to the rear brakes which makes it easier to carry. The brake locking mechanism also makes sure that the scooter does not roll away when you lean it against a wall which is a very useful feature.
The handlebar is fixed at a decent height even though we would have preferred for it to be adjustable but, you can’t always get what you want. The rigid extruded aluminum frame makes your life easy in more ways than one. It allows for a lighter weight scooter and does not compromise on the strength and sturdiness of the frame.
You will also find the large wheels to be quite the addition with PU coating for a smoother ride and better absorption of shock and the handle bars have a dual-injection material that offers improved comfort to the user.
We loved that you get two brakes and you choose which one you want to use and also the distance of the deck from the ground was quite commendable.
- The design is perfect for adult use
- It is made from very high quality materials
- Unique and patented folding design
- Comfortable smooth ride
- The handle bar is fixed
- The price is a little steeper
Urban 7XL Kick Scooter Adjustable
Sometimes, buying your own scooter might not make sense especially if you don’t have to constantly use it. Instead of just buying it and seeing it collect dust, this adjustable scooter might offer you a unique solution. It is built with both adults and children in mind. You could buy this for your child and share. When you want to use it, you just adjust it and take it for a stroll.
There are plenty of features that you will love and one that stood out for us is the 4” inch ground clearance and foam handles that will keep your hands in control and comfortable for the duration of the ride.
If you are looking to take long rides on the weekends or to your office a couple of blocks down the street, this is going to be a great pick for you. It has a sturdy frame and comes ready to use out of the box with no assembly required.
The scooter is built for speed and performance with ABEC 7 carbon bearings that take advantage of motion and get you to your destination faster.
- It is highly adjustable
- Build from quality materials
- Good ground clearance
- Comfortable handle bars
- Highly affordable
- Works on the rear fender brake only
- Might not be a good fit for younger people because of the speed
Goplus Folding Kick Scooter for Adult Teen Deluxe Aluminum Glider
You can always spot a good scooter by the quality of the materials used and its sturdiness. This one has taken such traits to a whole new level. The frame is built from aircraft grade aluminum which means you get a super light but very strong scooter. It also offers other features like and folding and height adjustable handle bar, front shock absorbing system and two big wheels that are made for rubber.
If you want a less bumpy ride, you will get it this from this scooter. The rear fender brake is not average and comes with cutting edge features that are patented for easier access and more efficient braking. We also have to mention that the scooter has killer looks that will definitely turn some heads.
- Foldable and height adjustable handle bar
- Patented rear fender braking system
- Large wheels
- Front shock absorber system
- Very affordable
- The platform is a little small
Ancheer Adult Teen Kick Scooter with Dual Suspension
The Ancheer and the Goplus that we just reviewed look strikingly similar. Or, maybe that was just our observation. The Ancheer however does offer more advanced features which include a rear disc brake that is hand operated. That is a little different compared to the front brakes. It offers a smoother stop with increased braking power.
The folding mechanism is superfast and easy to use and you don’t have to worry about assembly when purchasing the product. It is fitted with a height adjustable aluminum frame and a front and rear shock absorbing system. There is no question that this scooter goes over and beyond to make sure your ride is as smooth and as comfortable as possible.
- Advanced rear braking system
- Easy to execute folding and unfolding mechanism
- Adjustable handle bars
- The folding mechanism is not efficient and leaves lots of space
The Ancheer brings to a close our review of great scooters that you can use as an alternative means of transport or just to circle around the block reminding everyone else how awesome your adult life is. If the reviews still leave you in a haze, then this little buying checklist should help you get a clearer vision on the best adult scooter for you.
Best Adult Scooter Buying Guide 2018
You must be pumped about getting a new scooter and the quickest way to kill the fun is to get a scooter home and quickly realize that it is not meant for you. Even with the reviews, you need to know what matters most so this guide will help you with that.
- What is for? – If you are going to stand a chance at getting a good scooter, you first have to be certain what you are going to be using it for most of the time. A scooter that never leaves your driveway is very different from one that will take you to work and back. Also, if you want a scooter that you can use for stunts, and then the consideration of features will also change based on the use.
- Weight – well, a scooter is meant to carry you but, sometimes, you have to carry it. In such cases, you will pray that you had picked a scooter with less weight. Ideally, look for scooters made from aluminum frames. They will be kinder to your arms and shoulders because they are lighter.
- Braking – you never appreciate the essence of breaking until you are steadfastly approaching a wall and your rear fender is wet. Once you smash into that wall, braking power becomes a top priority going forward. Make sure you pick an option that is quick and easy to stop even in wet conditions.
- Adjustability – you might never share your scooter with anyone but you can’t bet on it. You might also gain a couple of inches so having a scooter with adjustable height is essential.
- Foldability – this is essential for two reasons. First, it makes it easier to carry the scooter around without looking like a mad man and second, it makes storage a lot easier.
We would have thrown price in there but that is up to you to decide. We don’t want you to feel like we are prying in your pockets. But, as a word of caution, when you buy a cheap product, expect it to disintegrate in the middle of the street.
Bringing it to a close!
Once again, this is where we live you in silence and solace to make your decision and live with it. We have done our part but, once in a while, we might send an angel to drown out that demon telling you to just jump on anything that has wheels because we all know the end to that can be painful. Also, remember that adult scooters are built for speed and you will need to buy a helmet since you can never anticipate an accident.